We pledge to continue working for Animal Welfare in the House of Lords.
Lord Archer of Sandwell
Lord Clarke of Hampstead
Lord Corbett of Castle Vale
Baroness Gibson of Market Rasen
Baroness Gould of Potternewton
Lord Graham of Edmonton
Since the General Election in 1997 the Labour Government has
* Since 1997 no great apes (chimpanzees, store orangutans and gorillas) have been used in experiments in the UK
* The Home Office stopped giving licences to test finished cosmetic products in 1998
* Banned fur farming in England and Wales on moral grounds when it passed the Fur Farming (Prohibition) Act in 2000
* Made it illegal to hunt wild mammals with dogs in England and Wales when it passed the Hunting Act in 2004
* Passed the Animal Welfare Act 2006 which makes owners and keepers responsible for ensuring that the welfare needs of their animals are met.